On Wednesday my daughter went to her dad’s house (usually she goes on Thursdays but we switched this week) so Taylor and I decided to go to Ikea. Normally I wouldn’t consider shopping trips as Date Nights but for Ikea I’ll make an exception.
We booked an SUV through Zipcar and headed out to the suburbs. There are two Ikeas near Vancouver- one in Coquitlam and one in Richmond. We usually go to the Coquitlam one since it’s bigger and newer and easier to get to by train, but when you’re driving the Richmond store is easier to get to after work since you don’t have to take the freeway.
Unfortunately we didn’t have as much fun as I’d hoped, Taylor wasn’t feeling very well and didn’t want to eat anything or look at literally every fake room and tiny item, but it was still a nice enough time. I picked up a pair of shelves for the Trofast cupboard I keep the daycare toys in (I almost forgot to get these, we were already in line and I had to run back to the warehouse to get them and I’m glad I did since they were on sale), a long Lack shelf for our bedroom, about a thousand meters of wrapping paper, a dozen picture frames for all Sym’s school pictures (I like to think ahead!), and a Mikael desk for her room. We’d been planning on getting it for a while but she doesn’t know that I bought it so it’s going to be one of her Christmas gifts. It’s in these two big boxes and I’m going to wrap them up and put them under the tree. She’s going to freak.
In non-Date Night news, today is my last day of work before two whole weeks of vacation. I have to say I’m pretty excited! We aren’t going anywhere this year so I made a big list of things I want to do around the house:
– finish painting the library (yellow) and paint the piano (also yellow) This is going to be a MASSIVE undertaking- at some point in history someone (badly) painted the piano glossy black, so I have to sand it first, but first I have to test for lead in the black paint.
– paint the kitchen (pink)
– paint the hallway (yellow)
-paint the bathroom (grey)
– paint our bedroom (cream) When I do this I’m going to move our mattress into the living room so we can sleep under the Christmas tree. It’ll be like all my childhood dreams come true!
– build new bookcases for the library, since right now it just has the piano and a couch in it and no books!
… and things I want to do around the city:
– go ice skating at the recently reopened rink at Robson Square, or “GE Ice Plaza”
– go see the Festival of lights at the Van Dusen Botanical Garden
– take Symphony on the Stanley Park Christmas Train, especially since I missed the Halloween Train this year
As you can see, I’m really into Christmas lights. The thing I’m most excited about though, is Taylor is taking the the week after next off of work, which means that I get to sleep next to my husband for ten nights in a row! Hooray!