Week 28

I kind of feel like I did a lot this weekend, but on the other hand I feel like I did nothing, which is weird because it was a long weekend (which is still going on, hooray for three-day work weeks!).

On Friday I had my last appointment with my family doctor, since I’ll be seeing an obstetrician for the rest of my prenatal care. I was kind of worried that I wouldn’t get a referral to someone I’d like, but I’ve been reading the new doctor’s reviews and literally every one is like “✭✭✭✭✭ She is amazing and the best doctor in the world!” so even though my first appointment with her isn’t until September 4th, I’m feeling pretty good about it!

Also on Friday, Taylor and I toured the maternity ward at the hospital, and although it’s basically the same as when I was last there in 2001, I thought it would be good for Taylor. BOY WAS IT EVER BECAUSE AFTERWARD SHE WAS FREAKED OUT. I guess actually being in the LDRP* room really hammered home the fact that in less than three months we’ll have a real live tiny baby! Of course, he’s a ridiculous man and his main concern seems to be how much stuff we have to bring with us, and whether or not he should buy a new bag to transport it all.

Later on I started to feel really crappy, I think from a combination of the heat and possibly some side effects of an injection I had earlier. I’m one of the lucky 15% of people with Rh-negative blood, which means I have to have a shot at 28 weeks of pregnancy to make sure my immune system doesn’t start attacking the baby’s blood, which is probably Rh-positive because most people are. Anyway. First I got super uncomfortably hot to the point where I had to take a FREEZING COLD BATH to cool off, then I got a crummy headache, and then I got SUPER tired and fell asleep almost immediately after we finished watching the second X-Files movie (I just really needed to put that whole franchise to bed once and for all).

Saturday was, I think, probably the worst day I’ve had so far this pregnancy. I haven’t been sleeping well recently, and after falling asleep around 9:30 the night before, I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and couldn’t get back to sleep. I took Georgie for a walk and then dozed for a little while on the couch before moving back to the bed around 7:30 or so. At 8:30 my cat’s insulin alarm went of, so I got up to give her a shot and to brush my teeth. While I was standing at the sink I started to feel a little dizzy, and by the time I made it make to the bedroom it was full-on vertigo. I fell into bed but even with my eyes clenched shut I could still feel it and I was afraid I was going to throw up, so I had to wake up poor Taylor (he’d worked all night) to help me back to the bathroom.

I managed not to get sick and the vertigo subsided, but I still felt pretty terrible. Since Taylor was exhausted we both ended up sleeping until noon. We actually only got up because Taylor’s favourite food truck was at the farmer’s market by our house, but other than that, a couple dog walks for Georgie and a trip to the store for as as much snack food as I could carry, I spent the entire day on the couch with all the lights off and the blinds closed watching movies (God bless Netflix, seriously). Sometimes it’s nice to have a lazy day like that but I would have preferred it to not also involved a crummy lingering headache, physically and mental exhaustion, and just a general malaise.

When I woke up on Sunday morning I was worried it would be more of the crummy same as Saturday. I rolled over in bed and immediately the vertigo started again! Luckily it passed quickly (and I haven’t had it since, phew) and instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself I actually spent the day doing things: some housework, some etsy work, some shopping and some going out for pancakes. All the important things, really.

Now it’s Monday, the last day of my weekend, and I’m hoping for kind of a cross between all the other days, minus the bad/sick parts. Sym got home last night from her week with her dad, very tired and very grubby. They spent four days at her stepmom’s parents’ farm in Kelowna, staying up late every night and not washing her hair, so by the time she’d showered (it seriously took four washes to get her hair clean) and gotten into bed at 10pm she’d had a very long day, and this morning she actually slept in until almost nine! We’re planning on doing nothing that involves real effort or getting dressed in clothes we didn’t sleep in last night: more movie watching, lazy dog walks, crafting and just general slovenliness. It’s gonna be nice 🙂

Some other random bits from this weekend…

• Georgie was definitely depressed about the other dogs being away, it was so sad! Dougal is back now so her mood is starting to improve, although I am a little worried about how she’s going to be when Taylor and I go away this weekend- she’s started to become super obsessed with me.

• Speaking of going away, I got the okay from my doctor to fly, so everything is looking good for our trip! I’m excited but also kind of nerve-wracked; we leave this Friday and it really snuck up on me.

• At one point I was walking home past the hospital and found myself daydreaming about the moment when the doctor will deliver the baby into my arms and I became so overwhelmed with emotion that I started crying, right in the street like an idiot. I’m just so happy and excited about this pregnancy, and I can’t wait to meet this tiny baby I’m growing. Only 11 1/2 more weeks!

• In sad news, this weekend I had to say goodbye to wearing my wedding ring. Since I took it off I’ve realized how many times a day I subconsciously play with it, because about a billion times I’ve rubbed my bare finger and then FREAKED OUT thinking I’ve lost it!

Fingers Too Pregnant For Jewelry

I hung it on the chain with my star charm that I wear every day and I can already see myself developing a new weird habit of playing with it there.

*Labour Delivery Recovery Postpartum. At our hospital you stay in one private room the entire time you are there, unless you have a C-section, which isn’t my plan (KNOCK ON WOOD).

2 Replies to “Weekended”

    1. PRIVATE ROOM WITH A JACUZZI TUB, HALF A BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE AW YUSS. If you have a C-section you have to share a bathroom with another family, but again, that’s not my plan (FINGERS CROSSED).

      I’m mostly excited about the tub, when I had Sym I couldn’t go in it because my water broke before my contractions started so had to suffer the indignity of Cervicil which meant no soaking in the bath >:/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *