the snow on Saturday // new boots (see below for details) // dressing up in my shirt // Sadie’s disguise // little monster // bundled up (this may seem like overkill but she fell over in horrible mud & slush 1000+ times) // speckled dog // a snowy walk // crocus babies // the path // Wingdust in I Ain’t No Angel (see below for details) // the faces of dinner, 1 2 3 // a patient scavenger // tiny toes // the lion returns
idk about you, but this month has been d r a g g i n g for me. It’s weird because I had two 4-day weeks (when I took a day off sick & the week of Family Day) and somehow those seemed to make the month longer. It makes no sense! I am so ready for February to be over, once my birthday and Valentine’s Day have past it’s like what is even the point of this month???
It’s Monday morning as I type this and it’s been snowing for the past 48 hours AT LEAST. It was snowing when I woke up on Saturday and it’s still snowing now. The weird thing is there’s barely any snow on the ground; it started sticking a little yesterday but there isn’t really any more snow on the ground now than there was then? Who knows; maybe today it’ll REALLY start sticking. Good thing I didn’t throw away my handy DO NOT SALT THE STAIRS sign (I wonder if anyone will actually read it though).
If you follow me on instagram you might have seen the genesis of Gwen’s new boots. I got this gorgeous, buttery-soft dark brown leather in a bag of scraps a few months ago and as soon as I saw it I knew it had to be made into boots. On Wednesday night I started drafting a pattern and made a wearable fleece (like a wearable muslin in dressmaking but out of fleece and also it’s a boot, so it functions as a slipper or bootliner, although I only made one so to really be wearable I’d need to make a second). On Thursday I scanned and enlarged the pattern (it was a little small, like it worked as a fleece but leather is less forgiving), and worked out how to make the boots able to open on one side and accommodate some sort of fastening apparatus to make them easier to get on and off. In the afternoon I cut out all the pieces and in the evening I started sewing; I got everything done except attaching the soles, which I did on Friday.
After considering using velcro, elastic and/or some sort of buttons I decided the best way to fasten the boots would be with snaps. I figured they would be the most durable and also I wouldn’t have to sew any more leather because by the time I finished the boots my hands were MURDERED. On Saturday morning I picked up a little snaps & snap setter kit at Michaels, but when I got it home I realized the leather of the boots was too thin to use those snaps. It was pretty disappointing because I really wanted to finish the boots, but the too-big snaps were a nickel finish and I actually wanted an antique brass so I guess it’s for the best? I found snaps online and ordered two different smaller sizes, as well as some that are shaped like cute teddy bear faces because WHY NOT. Oh and a bag of fifty neon pink dome rivets because DOUBLE WHY NOT I mean it was $3.50 + $1 shipping. I was also very tempted to buy some sides of metallic leather in pink and green and turquoise but I didn’t and tbh I think I should be commended for my self control here.
The pattern I came up with is pretty simple- I re-used the sole & vamp pieces from my scallop moccasins (without the scallop) and made a two-piece pattern for the shaft (that is the part of the boot that goes up the leg fyi). It was pretty easy to make although DEFINITELY more sewing than the moccs, although I did enlarge the pattern significantly so that also contributed. It was kind of a learning experience as there are a few things I would change if I were to make another pair (the way I sewed the vamp to the front of the shaft and the seam up the back of the shaft) but for a first attempt I’d saw they are a huge success (or will be, if I ever get THOSE DAMN SNAPS). Gwen has been very happy to wear them around the house without the snaps, plus put them on her hands and chew them.
If I do perfect the pattern I might put up a diy for these, and I’m also planning on making a video (FUN) showing my handsewing leather technique, since one of the most common questions I get about my moccs diy is “DO YOU SERIOUSLY SEW THESE BY HAND LIKE OMG HOW??????
I’ve now had these fake nails for a month and I’m really happy with them. I barely even remember what it was like to have sad, weak, brittle, peel-y nails that disintegrated if you looked at them funny. I had them filled again on Saturday and the white tips redone, although I painted them that day so I could have skipped that part. I came up with a plan in January to turn all my polishes backwards in the shelf and anything that was still backwards in six months would get the ol’ heave-ho, so I’m determined to use all my faves at least once. This week I tried the second of my Wingdust polishes, I Ain’t No Angel and I seriously can’t recommend this indie brand enough. Again, the polish is gorgeous, with tons of multi-size glitters that are easy to get out of the bottle and onto your nail- no weird digging around in the bottle & dabbing glitters on technique required. The polish dries quickly and is opaque after two coats.
a couple links for this cruddy Monday:
Sara M Lyons did some AMAZING Beyonce nail decals for Emerging Thoughts, you can preorder them here.
I finally listed my black & white gem sticker set, you can see all my stickers here.
Finally, check out this SERIOUSLY amazing Palentine’s Day party, featuring a custom banner by yours truly.